Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bearable Embarrassments

Everyone has embarrassing moments. Some people just have more frequent embarrassing moments than others. I am one of those people. People also choose to cope and handle their embarrassments differently when the moment comes. But we didn't always use to be like this. As kids, we were naive, innocent, and unaware. We did embarrassing things all the time and didn't even realize it .

As we grow up, we learned what it feels like to get embarrassed through society. Most people get flustered and it shows in their mannerisms, which physically feeds into their emotional embarrassments. Not only did something embarrassing happen to you, but now everyone is able to tell that you're embarrassed because of your face. Your actual face this time. To avoid this, you can wear blush every day so that you'll be prepared if anything embarrassing were to happen to you. No one would be able to tell since you already have blush on your face. Unless you are a boy, then you can't really take this route. Or, you can reach the point where embarrassing things happen to you so often that you've gained partial immunity to it like I have. When you've reached this point, it's easier if you could laugh it off and embrace it.



Stairs

Most people fall down the stairs, but like Jennifer Lawrence at the Oscars, I trip up the stairs....frequently. This is a weekly occurrence. Up the stairs to cardiac hill, up the stairs from crossroads to the cafeteria, up the stairs in my dorm, anytime there are stairs I am vulnerable to tripping up them. It's embarrassing, yes. But I've gotten to the point where it's just a natural instinct to say "oh" and laugh when it happens.























Josh Groban

From age 2 and a half until age 6, people would book me to sing at their weddings. I had a mini singing career and whenever I go places with Vietnamese people, someone would say "oh you're that girl who used to sing at weddings!" However, that was and will be the only singing career I will ever have. A lot of people used to not know this, but I also have another talent: the ability to sing like a man. Not only sing like a man, but to sing like a man well. One of my favorite songs is You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban, and one of my best friends caught me singing it in a man voice. At Senior Grad night on a yacht, all of my best friends made it a point to make me go up in front of a lot of my classmates who were in that room, to make me sing it out of nowhere. I was seriously pressured so hard to the point where I really didn't have a choice. Yeah, it was embarrassing but after that, I was forced to do an anchor by a majority of the people in the room. No, it does not make me proud to have this ability to sing like a man, but after this experience, I've grown to embrace it. I mean, I won't go start a singing career as a woman-man singer, but I'm no longer as embarrassed by it. I've almost gotten to the point to be able to embrace it. 

Spinning



My best friend and I decided that it would be fun to spin in a circle with our heads down for 30 seconds on opposite sides of the street with the goal of meeting running towards each other and high-fiving in the middle. Obviously, we were extremely dizzy and after I met her in the middle, my friend caught me but I bounced off of him and straight up ate it on the ground. Why we chose to do it on concrete. I don't know. This was pretty stupid and embarrassing since it left a huge hole on my chin. When people asked me what happened, I'd either say I got in a fight, that it was a birth scar, or a pimple. But now, it's gotten to the point where when me and my friends think about it, we just laugh about it. I've learned to embrace my spinning scar. Just thinking of having to explain how I got this scar to my future husband, my future husband's family, or my kids cracks me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment